Thursday, March 5, 2009

Week 5 - Media Effects


Blog Assignment: TOPIC 2

"Here is a comic strip entitled "Rumors, lies and innuendo spread far, wide, and fast on the Internet." taken from "Introduction to Mass Communication: Media Literacy and Culture" by Stanley Baran, pg 324."


Do you often take what is on the Internet as truth without thinking much about it? If yes, why? If no, why? Discuss this in your own words.

Critical Reflection on Media Effects.

1) Based on the question, I often think that the news in the Internet are the truth, on most web trustful website such as CNN, BBC, Yahoo, GoogleNews, The Star, and Utusan Online. Most of the websites that I told above are most likely can be trusted in my point of view. They are professionals on what they do which is to deliver correct and reliable news. As you know, Internet is a powerful tool in our era. It can be used to deliver news as well. Most blogs are also used to spread news, but I don't fully believe in them. Other examples are also like chain E-mails. I don't believe at them at all. Most of them are fake and not true, based on my past experience. To be honest, I myself hardly touch the newspaper. I find it easier if I just surf the net, and "Google" the news that I want to know, or maybe just go to the website that I mentioned above such as CNN.

2) If I'm doubtful with the news that I read in the Internet, I myself will find and gather more information from other media, most probably it's gonna be the newspaper. I will also ask my parents or maybe my lectures on the topic. We humans are given brain by the Almighty God, and we have to use it well. Don't be blindly fooled by a computer, just because it says so. Most people are filled with jealousy and hatred beyond your imagination. They'll do anything that is possible for them in order to fool you. I am speaking on my side. Yes, I agree internet is a good source of information, but be wise on using the Internet, that is because there is no limit on using the Internet and anybody in the E-world can fool you.

Personal Reflection On the Media Culture Class

This week have been a "noisy" week I suppose. The class was quite noisy, while Mr. Radzi Bedu was lecturing on the topic, Media Effects. What interest me the most in this week lecture is the "Powerful Effects Theory". The name itself really tells you that it is a very "powerful" thing. Based on lecture's slide show, "Early scholar of Media believed that the media had a profound, direct effect on people". It is true that most media can manipulate and give direct effect on people. This theory can be used for good purpose such as to send information, ideas and propaganda. It can also be used for bad purpose as well in my opinion. I strongly believe in this effect other than the "Minimalist Effect Theory", "Cumulative Theory", and "Uses and Gratification Studies". After the class ended, we had to pass up our short summary on "Transition to a Modern Social Psychology of Communication" which was given on last week lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment